Posted by Canada Hot Tub Parts® on May 10, 2019
How Long Do Hot Tub Filters Last? | Canada Hot Tub Parts®
Why Replace Your Hot Tub Filter?
Hot tub filters are crucial to the operation of any hot tub. Without a properly functioning hot tub filter, the water in hot tubs would quickly become cloudy and unusable as dirt, dust and other debris build up in the water. Hot tub filters aren't built to last forever though and need to be replaced to ensure the proper operation of your hot tub.
Hot tub filters work by trapping debris within several layers of tightly woven filter media. Over time, this filter media breaks down and begins to loosen slightly; allowing larger and larger debris to pass through the filter. Eventually, the filter is no longer able to effectively clean the water in the hot tub and must be replaced.
How Long Do Hot Tub Filters Last?
So how long do hot tub filters last? The answer depends on various factors like the quality of the filter and the amount of use that the hot tub gets. That being said, most hot tub filters will last between 12-18 months before they need to be replaced.
Signs That You Need A New Hot Tub Filter
So how can you tell when it's time to replace your filter? Here are a few sure signs that your hot tub filter has reached the end of its life.
- You're having to regularly use clarifying chemicals. As the filter media loosens up, it requires help from clarifying chemicals to keep the water clear.
- You're having to remove and clean the filter more often than normal in order to keep the water clear. No matter how hard you try, you'll never get a hot tub filter completely clean. As the filter ages, it will therefore require more frequent cleanings.
- The hot tub is experiencing FLO errors regularly that clear when the filter is removed. As filters get clogged it becomes harder and harder for water to flow through them, leading to FLO errors.
How To Extend The Life Of Your Hot Tub Filters
So how do you ensure that you get a long life from your filter? Here are a few tips to help extend the life of your hot tub filters.
- Rinse your filters regularly. Rinse your hot tub filters every 1-2 weeks to keep them as clean as possible.
- Chemically clean the filters. Along with regular rinsing, every 3-4 months you should also chemically clean your filters with a specialized hot tub filter cleaner. These cleaners break down and remove oils and lotions that the regular rinses aren't able to remove.
- Rotate between two filters. One of the best ways to increase the lifespan of your hot tub filters is to let them fully dry periodically. As the filters dry, the filter media will tighten back up, allowing them to more effectively filter the water. The easiest way to let your filters fully dry is simply to rotate between two filters. After cleaning one using your hot tub filter cleaner, leave it out to dry and put the other filter in. Following this schedule can easily add a few months to the life of a hot tub filter.